First, I wanted to share the winners of the Zing Bars giveaway! Congratulations to EA from TheSpicyRD, Yuri from Chef Pandita, Chef Felisha from OurDailySalt, Ellie from Fit For The Soul, and Ann from vegAnn’s Kitchen!!!
Let us know what your favorite flavor is:-)
Today I wanted to share a recipe I made a few weeks ago at the cafe. This apple cake was to delicious, I had to share with you. The recipe is from Southern Living, I found their Fall recipe magazine special in the grocery store. One of my addictions is recipe magazines in the grocery checkout line. I am sure I am not the only one with this addiction….
The cake batter is very thick, but when mixed with all the apples, it is such a moist, delicious cake!
For the frosting I decided to make the browned-butter frosting. They had three choices for frosting, dark chocolate, cream cheese or browned-butter. I decided the browned-butter sounded so decadent and perfect for a dinner dessert at the cafe.
When you make browned-butter, it is a bit tricky. If you let it cook just a second too long, you will quickly have burnt-butter instead. Chef was wonderful and showed me how to make a beautiful browned-butter. I would like to say right here and now, browned-butter is my new love! Seriously, a beautiful buttery hazelnut flavor…who would not love that?
When cooking the butter, keep your sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter, AND NEVER WALK AWAY FROM THE PAN! You are looking for a hazelnut smell, with a light golden brown look. It will happen, and it can quickly disappear, so be ready!
- 1½ cups chopped pecans
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2½ pounds Granny Smith apples (about 4 large), peeled and cut into ¼-inch-thick wedges
- Browned-Butter Frosting
- 1 cup butter
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- Stir together butter and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended. Stir in apples and 1 cup pecans. (Batter will be very thick, similar to a cookie dough.) Spread batter into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 45 minutes). Spread your choice of frosting over top of cake; sprinkle with remaining ½ cup pecans.
- Cook butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until butter begins to turn golden brown. Remove pan from heat immediately, and pour butter into a small bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour or until butter is cool and begins to solidify.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add powdered sugar alternately with milk, beginning and ending with powdered sugar. Beat mixture at low speed until well blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
Until next time, Come on in, Have a seat,