So you may be saying, “wait these are bars, not a cookie!” Oh but wait, not so fast my friends! A delicious oatmeal cookie holding on tightly to a beautiful bed of silky chocolate, topped with more cookie….OH MY HEAVENS!!!
My mom loves baking cookies for the holidays. There have been years where she has made 40 different kinds of cookies, candies, and bars. She shares them with friends, family, and people in the neighborhood. A plate of cookies is a perfect Christmas present in my book, a treat from the heart!
From those 40 different cookies, there are about four or five kinds that I adore. I eat all the cookies, but my favorite get devoured faster. I love love Oatmeal Fudge Bars, and Kissmas Cookies. I will be sharing the Kissmas cookies next Monday.
The bars are really fun, and easy to assemble. The only thing I changed from my Mom’s recipe is I melted the butter, I am WAY to impatient to wait for it to become soft….
- 2½ cups flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups quick oats
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 can (12oz) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla (for melted chocolate layer)
- 1 cup of chopped nuts (this recipe uses walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease 9x13 pan.
- In small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In medium bowl, cream butter and sugar together with hand mixer, add egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in oats, vanilla, and then add in flour mixture. Reserve one cup of dough, press remaining dough in bottom of greased pan.
- In double boiler, on medium heat, melt together chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, salt, vanilla, and chopped nuts. Once the mixture is melted, spread evenly over dough in pan.
- Take clumps of reserved dough, and spread out in clumps over top of bar.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes. Let cool before cutting the bars.
Please join in on the #cookielove fun by linking up any cookie recipe from the month of December 2011. Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #cookielove event! The twitter hashtag is #cookielove 🙂
Here are the hosts of this fun event!!! Giving a little CookieLove:-)
Badger Girl Learns to Cook, Baking and Cooking: A Tale of Two Loves, BigFatBaker, Bloc de Recetas, Bon a Croquer, CafeTerraBlog, Cake Duchess, Creative Cooking Corner, Easily Good Eats, Georgie Cakes, Hobby and More, Knitstamatic, Mike’s Baking, Mis Pensamientos, No One Likes Crumbley Cookies, Oh Cake, Queen’s Notebook, Savoring Every Bite, Simply Reem, Soni’s Food For Thought, Teaspoon of Spice, That Skinny Chick Can Bake, The Art of Cooking Real Food, The Spicy RD, The Wimpy Vegetarian, Vegetarian Tastebuds, Vegan Yack Attack.
What is your favorite cookie, bar, or candy during the holiday season?
Until next time, Come on in, Have a seat,