Did you know that Super Bowl is the second largest food day in the US after Thanksgiving? The snacks that are consumed can range from nachos, buffalo wings, guacamole, chips and salsa……the list goes on, and on….
Since this girl is a venison lover, thanks to my wonderful Dad- why not share something a little different this Super Bowl?
My husband created this dish, and shocking as it might be, he used bourbon! Do you remember the last time my hubby joined me in the kitchen, he made delicious bourbon balls? He has a theme going on here I think.
I will let my hubby share with you about the recipe, and maybe he will give us a hint about that title….
We liked the Bourbon Balls so much, and we had a good amount of bourbon left since we’re such huge drinkers, that we decided to build a barbecue sauce that featured the bourbon.
We really prefer tangy or smoky bbq sauces over sweet sauces, so you’ll notice there’s no ketchup in this one. As for the neck, it’s super easy to cook in a slow cooker, but it doesn’t give up its meat easily. However, every bite is worth the effort.
Adding the mushrooms was a gametime decision. We had some in the fridge, and put them in the lineup. They really added a great flavor to the whole thing, so much that I’m naming them the MVP of the dish.
Now, the name Cover 2. It’s a football term, a defensive set where the defensive backs play an area of the field, rather than man-to-man against the receivers. Call it whatever you want, it will still be delicious.
- 2 lbs venison (beef, chicken or pork would work too)
- 28 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 5 Tbsp bourbon (or maybe more....)
- 8 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp sorghum molasses
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- 3 Tbsp cumin (you could add more or less, gives a nice smokey flavor)
- ½ lb mushrooms, sliced
- sea salt and seasoned pepper to taste
- Any small bread roll, or biscuit, pkg of 24
- In a medium bowl, mix together tomato sauce, onion, bourbon, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sorghum molasses, hot sauce, cumin, salt and pepper.
- In crockpot, add venison, bourbon bbq sauce, and mushrooms. Let cook until meat is tender, about 8-10 hours. Turn meat a few times during cooking process, to ensure sauce is on all sides evenly.
- Place small amount of meat on roll, and top with some sauce.
Since my 49ers did not win the NFC Championship game…..I still blame the muffed punt…. I am not rooting for anyone, just excited to watch a great game!
Which team are your rooting for in the Super Bowl?
What is your favorite snack to make for the Super Bowl?
Until next time, Come on in, Have a seat,