All week I had an idea of what I wanted to make for GreensLove Blog Hop, but needed a recipe still. Saturday morning I awoke from a dream, and had the recipe! I am so excited to
eat share this treat!
The bread is like eating buttery garlic bread, but better! Sweet flavors of roasted garlic swirled around crispy pieces of kale, and brought together by the rich flavors of Parmesan…..what could be better?
After making New York style bagels last week with the wonderful Red Star Yeast, I had to make more bread. For this recipe, egg bread compliments the flavors perfectly.
There are a couple steps you have to take before you can even start making your bread. You will want to roast five bulbs of garlic. You just need to slice off the top of the garlic bulb, and wrap them in foil, and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30-45 minutes (depending on your oven.) Now if you have a fun garlic roaster like this….
Then by all means, use this cute little toy!!!!
Next, you will make some delicious kale chips. Kale chips may become a treat that you will be addicted to…..just a warning!
You just need to cut the stem out of the kale, cut it into bite size pieces, sprinkle with olive oil and salt, and bake on 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 mins (depending on oven.) I have read that many people have done fun variations to kale chips. Some have made them with chocolate or cheese, and another favorite is topping with nutritional yeast. Kale chips are definitely a fun treat, and can be enjoyed in many different ways.
I used the Red Star Yeast Egg Bread recipe for medium serving, and just adapted it by one ingredient. Then had fun putting together what I created in my dream!
- Follow Red Star Yeast Egg Bread Recipe linked up above
- 5 bulbs of garlic
- 5 Tbsp of salted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups kale
- salt to taste
- 2-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease bread loaf pan.
- For bread recipe, I used half and half instead of milk. Otherwise follow bread recipe from Red Star Yeast.
- To roast garlic, prepare ahead of time – wrap each bulb in foil, and bake at 375 degree for about 30-45 minutes, depending on oven. When done, take each clove out of bulb, then mash roasted garlic with 5 Tbsps of butter.
- For the kale chips, prepare same day as bread – You do not need to completely cut the stem away, just cut the hardest portion of the kale stem out. Cut the pieces into bite size pieces. You will place the kale on a cookie sheet, and sprinkle with olive oil and small amount of salt. Then bake them at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes. Let them cool on a plate.
- Once dough is ready, role out on lightly floured surface, spread garlic spread over dough evenly, then crumble kale chips over garlic spread, and last sprinkle Parmesan cheese on dough.
- Role the dough up, and tuck sides in, then place in greased bread loaf pan. Bake it at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35-45 minutes (depending on oven.)
- When it is baked, immediately remove the bread from the loaf pan, and slice! Enjoy!!!
March is #greenslove month!
Please join in on the #greenslove fun by linking up any leafy green recipe from the month of March 2012. Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #greenslove event! The twitter hashtag is #greenslove
What is your favorite leafy green, how do you like that delicious leafy green prepared?
Until next time, Come on in, Have a seat,
Here are the hosts of GreensLove Blog Hop:
Badger Girl Learns to Cook ~ Kimberly ~ @BdgrGrl
Baking and Cooking, A Tale of Two Loves ~ Becky Higgins