Okay, confession time! This recipe comes from a lovely gluten free recipe book. The book shares recipes using almond flour, it is really fantastic! That being said, I seriously ran out of almond flour for the cracker recipe….BLURGH!!!!
Soooooo….Why Terra is it “Kinda Gluten Free?” Wellllllll…because I will share the recipe both gluten free, and well- not gluten free. I had to crack open my Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour. I love Bob’s Red Mill!!!
In the recipe I will definitely share where to make it gluten free! This recipe is very versatile. You can use whatever herb you have available.
A few months back I finally got one of my dream toys, a cracker cutter. Don’t tease me, they are seriously fantastic!!! Here is the step-by-step of the cracker making process, because I had that much fun making them!
First, take the dough and place between to pieces of parchment paper, or wax paper. Roll dough out, you want to roll it out pretty thin. About 1/16th of inch.
Once you have the dough rolled out, then you break out that cool new toy and cut your crackers. I did not measure them or get them all precise. I like when things are not uniform. Heck, no two crackers should be alike!
I then separated the crackers, and discovered I should have rolled mine out a bit more….oh well! A thick cracker is pretty fantastic too, right?
Place on a greased cookie sheet. You could probably put them closer, they don’t puff up much.
When I brought them out, I had to put them on a rack with less holes. My normal cooling racks have large holes, and the crackers wanted to fall through.
I pretty much love these crackers! They have a fun crunch with each bite, and are full of delicious flavors! I just recently read ‘In the Defense of Food’ by Michael Pollan. So making homemade crackers makes me so happy! Anything with less than 50 ingredients is going to be a bonus right? In the coming weeks I will be sharing recipes with more whole foods, and less processed foods. First stop, the farmers market, they just opened here.
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or 2 cups almond flour)
- ⅔ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2-4 Tbsp olive oil, add slowly, and mix.
- 3-6 Tbsp water, add slowly, and mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Chop rosemary finely, and set aside.
- In medium bowl - mix together flour, parmesan, rosemary, and salt.
- In small bowl - mix together eggs and olive oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Slowly add one tablespoon at a time of water to dough. You want to bring dough together, and it should not be dry. It will have a consistency like pie dough.
- Place dough in between two pieces of parchment paper, and roll dough out thinly. Roll dough to about 1/16th of inch thin.
- With pizza cutter, knife, or the fancy cracker cutter, cut your crackers to about 1-2 inches each.
- Place on greased cookie sheet, and bake for about 10-12 minutes depending on oven.
- Let cool, and Enjoy!
This weekend is going to be spent snacking on crackers with hummus and some Southwest Chobani dip, YUM!!!
What is your favorite herb to cook with?
What is your favorite cracker?