Would you believe I have to travel on my Birthday? Boooooo!!! Well my sweet Nelly always knows how to make me feel better….with booze of course!! While the cat is away the mice will play, but just don’t have TOO much fun while I am gone! I hope you enjoy this gorgeous cocktail as much as I did!!
Nelly is someone who I truly adore and look up to. She is my dear friend, and I love that we both have a birthday’s in January! Soooooo…. prepare for a fun birthday treat for a special someone coming VERY soon!
Enjoy, and please take a moment to stop by Nelly’s Blog, her site is beautiful!
Nothing makes a birthday girl happier than a splash of booze in her drink, and I know my friend Terra loves three things: greek yogurt, grilling, and booze! And since we are both January babies, I decided to share with her readers a deliciously Caribbean drink with a touch of New England and a splash of intoxicating vodka. – Marnely from Cooking with Books
How fun is it that both Terra and Tamarind start with the letter T? Twice the fun indeed! Terra and I met somewhere, somehow – only, in a tweet chat and instantly connected. I consider her one of my best friend’s from the virtual world (and actually, also the real world!) and we can go without talking for a month and suddenly just call each other and talk about everything from brownies to travel!
Now, back to this recipe! Tamarind juice is close to my heart because I grew up seeing my Dad makes huge batches of it for us. A common Dominican wives tale about Tamarind is that it will induce sleep, so now I know why my Dad would have gallons of it – to put us to sleep early! But seriously, tamarind also has some fantastic health benefits (not a health practitioner, just sharing some online research found here!):
- Tamarind has multiple benefits as cathartic, febrifuge, antiseptic and refrigent.
- Tamarind is used as an Ayurvedic medicine for gastric problem, digestion problems and cardio protective activity.
- Tamarind leaves are used in herbal tea for reducing malaria fever.
- Tamarind lowers cholesterol level in the body and helps in promoting healthy heart.
- Sore throat is treated when gargled with dilute tamarind pulp.
- Tamarind protects from Vitamin C deficiency.
- Being a good source of antioxidants, tamarind helps fight against cancer.
- 6 ounces tamarind juice
- 1 tablespoon Wholesome Sweetener Agave Syrup in Maple
- ½ ounce your favorite vodka
- to decorate: Demerara Sugar and Agave Syrup
- First, a note on tamarind juice. If you can't find the juice at the grocery store, you can order tamarind paste online. Stick the paste in 6 ounces of water overnight in the fridge and then simmer for 15 minutes. Steep and cold for about 30 minutes and strain. Use this as your juice.
- To make drink: prepare glass by placing some agave syrup on a plate and sugar in a small bowl. Dip the rim of the glass in the syrup and then the sugar, done!
- In a shaker, mix tamarind juice, agave syrup, and vodka. Pour in glass with ice and serve. Cheers!
Here’s to wishing Terra an amazing birthday filled with great food and surrounded by people she loves (both in the real world and the virtual world!) Happy Birthday my friend, I love you!
Awww, you always warm my heart Nelly! This seriously makes my birthday the best day EVER!!! Love you too, my sweet friend!!!