Today I have a special treat for you, and I think you are going to love it! Since my kitchen is still out of commission from the water leak, I have a special guest. The guys came to check and see if our walls were still wet. Yup, one area is still too wet, so we still have fans in our kitchen…UGH!
I have a feeling you already know how much I love social media. The one thing I dearly love about social media is the connections you make. There is a closed group I am a part of on Facebook. The group members there are my friends, my virtual friends of course. BUT I look forward to meeting them someday! That is where I met Tara from Della Rose Living!
Tara has a smile that will brighten anyones day! We immediately connected, oh the beauties of Facebook. Tara has a beautiful blog where she shares her love of cooking, gardening, and my new interest, canning! She even just rescued two baby kittens that were abandoned at her husbands’ work….a woman after my own heart. The recipes Tara shares have a homey feel, and always the perfect comfort food!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did….take it away Tara! Hi there! I’m Tara of Della Rose Living. I was so honored when Terra asked me to guest post! We met awhile back through a foodie group on Facebook and we immediately clicked!
I love her giving nature and kind heart. She always thinks of others and how she can help them or do for them. I truly think that Terra never meets a stranger. Even though we have only met virtually I know that if ever given the opportunity to sit down and have a glass of wine (or three ha!) together we would be chatting for hours.
One of the things that drew me to Terra’s blog is her love for food and family alike. That is how I feel when I visit her Facebook page or here on her blog; I feel like I’m family. I’ve kicked off my shoes, got my apron on and a glass of wine at the ready! I’m ready to cook!
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (homemade is best but store bought is just fine; go with low sodium)
- 2 cups brown rice (to make this dish even quicker you can use quick cooking brown rice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 lb. of cooked chicken, cubed
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- 2 green onions, sliced small
- Heat olive oil in a medium/large stockpot.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion. Saute until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add brown rice and toast in pot with vegetables for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add chicken broth and bring to a simmer with lid on; cooking for 10 minutes.; stirring occasionally.
- Add half and half and 1 lb. of chicken. Only heat through; do not boil as cream may separate or curdle
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and green onion.
- Serves a family of 4 but we always have left overs. This is fabulous the next day too!
- **You can add more chicken broth at the end of you like more of a soupy consistency.
What a gorgeous recipe, and the perfect comfort food! I am so excited Tara stopped by and kept the seats warm at the cafe! Not only is Tara fantastic, she has a pretty awesome name! Thank you so much Tara, sending you BIG (((Hugs))) my sweet friend!!!