There was a time when food with even a hint of spice would make me shy away. Now today, the spicier the better! Here is round two, and a happy success with Jamie Oliver’s Crumbliest Scone recipe. For the first round I stayed true to the original recipe. For round two, it was more fun to share the recipe with some added love. Breakfast that includes chocolate in the recipe is sure to please the tummy! To give the scones a little kick, I am excited to introduce you to a fabulous new flavor of honey! These Spicy Chocolate Scones are perfect for breakfast, or to satisfy any sweet tooth! Now Cloister honey is not new to CafeTerraBlog, I have shared their amazing honey in a few recipes. The honey is beyond delicious, and the owners are pretty fantastic too!!! If you live in Charlotte, there are several areas in town where you can pick up your very own jar. If you are too far away from Charlotte, no worries, Here is a link to browse and drool over all the different types of honey Cloister honey creates. I have tried many of their jars, but have to admit…..this ghost pepper honey rocked my world!
This recipe is easy to make, and was a hit with a few of our friends! You could add more spice to the recipe, by adding a few extra tablespoons of honey. Or if you just want the honey for the added dimension and flavor, but avoid the spice? Only add the three tablespoons of honey, and avoid the honey glaze at the end of the recipe.
The most important area to remember for any scone recipe…..do not over mix the batter.
Here are couple other recipes I have shared using the different types of honey that Cloister creates: Bourbon Bread Pudding with Leftover Pan de Muerto – using Bourbon Honey. Honey Raisin Brioche Cinnamon Rolls – using Wild Flower Honey. Squash Corn Muffins – using Chili Pepper Infused Honey.
- ⅓ cup prepared hot cocoa, cooled to room temperature
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp Whipped Ghost Pepper Honey (plus 3 Tbsp for glaze)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp demura sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Prepare your favorite hot cocoa and let cool to room temperature.
- In medium bowl - mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar. Then break up cold, diced butter, and honey in flour mixture, break up butter and honey until flour is in crumb size pieces.
- Next, add prepared hot cocoa, eggs, and chocolate chips to flour/butter mixture. Mix together ingredients, but do not over mix the batter.
- Carefully pour loose batter on greased cookie sheet, form into a round ball shape only about ½ inch thick, and make slices into batter to form edges for each individual scone during cooking process.
- Let scones bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown, depending on oven.
- (optional) For spicy glaze - In medium sauce pan over medium heat, warm 3 Tbsp Whipped Ghost Pepper Honey until loose and easy to spread over scones. Brush honey over scones for an extra added kick!