My apple love continues, this time with an “almost healthy” traveling treat. Since my job starts in a car, and I travel from audit to audit I try to think of fun snacks that are easy to eat while driving safely! This snack cake includes almond meal and Greek yogurt for a good source of calcium. The cake is packed full of apples, and has apple pie jam mixed into each bite. I promise this apple pie snack cake will not last long….you may want to double the recipe!
There is not a lot of sugar included in the recipe, the natural sweetness will come from the apples and the apple pie jam. So that is why this recipe is “almost healthy.” I have recently discovered that I need to include more calcium in my diet, but I still need the sugar for when I need a pick-me-up! Using foods that are rich in calcium, instead of taking too many supplements, is more fun to me!
- ½ cup Apple Cinnamon Chobani Greek yogurt
- 1 cup apples, diced (one small apple)
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup apple pie jam with cranberries
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray, or scone pan.
- In medium bowl - Mix together Greek yogurt, diced apples, sugar, vanilla, and apple pie jam.
- In small bowl - Mix together almond meal, all purpose flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, and pour the batter into greased pan.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, depending on oven.
Here are a couple other snack ideas that have been made at CafeTerraBlog – Apple Cinnamon Raisin Nut Butter Bran Muffins, Berry Nut Butter Energy Bites, Banana Bread with Greek Yogurt, Pumpkin Zucchini Bread with Cardamom.
What is your favorite snack when traveling?