Every morning should start with a hearty muffin full of love. This muffin infuses the flavor of cinnamon throughout the whole bite. Fresh sweet cherries are oozing from every inch of the delicious treat. There is a fun addition to this recipe, Cinnamon Whipped Honey from Cloister Honey. Their honey is a perfect replacement for refined sugar. Who is ready to devour a Cinnamon Cherry Breakfast Muffin?
There are so many healthy additions to this treat, and it’s a perfect Diabetic-friendly recipe. Instead of white sugar or all-purpose flour, this recipe uses local honey, palm sugar, fruit and whole wheat flour. The quinoa provides a great filler, and is also a great protein source. With the cherries, and local honey, you have antioxidants throughout the muffin. The Greek yogurt is a great calcium source. Plus the whole wheat flour, and cherries are a great source of fiber. So many healthy benefits, yet still soooooo delicious!!!
I love finding local honey, it is so much better than any store bought honey. My favorite here in Charlotte is Cloister Honey. I recently visited them and before I left they stocked me up. They filled my arms with many different flavors like Cocoa, Lavender, Bourbon, Orange Bliss, and many more. Since I use honey instead of refined sugars, plan to see many of these flavors in recipes soon. For this recipe I used their Cinnamon Whipped honey. it’s amazing in baked treats, and spread on some toast.
Here are some other recipes I have made here at the cafe with Cloister Honey: Cherry Bourbon Crumble Bars with Bourbon Honey, Spicy Brownies with Ghost Pepper Honey, Bourbon BBQ Sauce, Squash Corn Muffins with honey infused with red pepper flakes.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 2 cups cinnamon tea
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup cinnamon whipped honey
- 1½ cups fresh sweet cherries, pitted, and quarter
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup palm sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In small sauce pan, boil two cups of water, pull off burner, add two cinnamon flavor tea bags and let steep for 2 minutes, let cool.
- In small sauce pan, boil ¾ cups water, add quinoa, put burner to simmer and let cook for about 15 minutes, let cool.
- In medium bowl, add whole wheat flour, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, mix together. Add quartered cherries and mix in flour.
- In medium bowl, add mashed banana and cinnamon whipped honey and mix well, next add cinnamon tea, cooked quinoa, Greek yogurt, coconut sugar, vanilla extract.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together, do not over mix batter.
- Fill muffin cup ¾ full, let bake for 25 - 30 minutes depending on oven for jumbo muffins, let cool.
- Batter will make 8 jumbo muffins, about 16 standard size muffins, and about 24 mini muffins.