Homestyle Chicken and Rice
Author: Tara Platt
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (homemade is best but store bought is just fine; go with low sodium)
- 2 cups brown rice (to make this dish even quicker you can use quick cooking brown rice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 lb. of cooked chicken, cubed
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- 2 green onions, sliced small
- Heat olive oil in a medium/large stockpot.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion. Saute until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add brown rice and toast in pot with vegetables for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add chicken broth and bring to a simmer with lid on; cooking for 10 minutes.; stirring occasionally.
- Add half and half and 1 lb. of chicken. Only heat through; do not boil as cream may separate or curdle
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and green onion.
- Serves a family of 4 but we always have left overs. This is fabulous the next day too!
- **You can add more chicken broth at the end of you like more of a soupy consistency.
Recipe by Café Terra at http://www.cafeterrablog.com/2013/01/31/guest-blog-with-della-rose-living-homestyle-chicken-and-rice/